About the MiG- 31 sorties following the KAL 007 incident in 1983

LAZUR 31

Новичок
Hello All

Does anyone here knows further info on the MiG-31 combat sorties following the KAL 007 incident in 1983? There was a rotational detachment commanded by inspector-pilot Vladimir Ivlev in order to prevent SR-71 flights over the shotdown site...

Many thanks in advance for any further info...

"LAZUR 31"

Реклама
First of all Mig-31 had nothing with KAL 007 incident. That KAL flight was intercepted by Mig-23 and three Su-15. First Mig 31 were positioned on Russian Far East only a year later in 1984

First of all thank you very much for the attention you paid regard my doubt. I know the Foxhound did not shot the KAL 007, but in a recent Combat Aircraft magazine issue it was mentioned and described in some detail that some MiG-31s flew following the KAL 007 shotdown, in order to prevent the SR-71 flights over the crash area. I was referring to the missions performed by the former...;)

This information about Mig 31 came from a French "expert" who wrote a "true history" book about WW3 over Sakhalin. Total fantasy and bullshit:
- 2 or 3 USAF jets shot down during the accident. One of the found pieces was recognized as F-111 (EF-111?) wing, the pilots ejected and were rescued on Russian territory
- KAL 007 saw all that, began radio transmission about the bloodbath and started escaping toward Japan, so Americans shot him down 600 km away from the officially named place.
- CIA used every second Koreans and Japanese pax planes to intercept Soviet airspace because Russians put nuclear missiles all around the Far East.
- SR71 and U-2 flew over Kamchatka and Sakhalin like over its homebase, and Soviets couldn’t do anything but just wait for Mig 31 to come
etc etc etc

Lukas, I know the book you are referring to. It is called "Incident over Sakhalin", and it was published in the 90's. But I am referring to an article published in the Combat Aircraft magazine, Volume 11, Number 9 (released in September 2010). The article's title is "Russia’s Aerial Shield" and it was written by Anatoliy Shevchenko. You can learn a little about it here: http://www.combataircraft.net/issues/volume11.php#11-9. By the way, the article tells about a task force composed by four MiG-31s headed by the inspector pilot Vladimir Ivlev. The task force was deployed during six months, since the shotdown until early 1984. I think someone in this forum is able to provide further details on such missions. I hope so, at last...;)

Michel Brun, "Incident at Sakhalin" - it is a good book, and the author describes his research and findings on Japan's Western and Northern shorelines. The only fantasy in the book is the Cold War backdrop of "nuclear war" but that does not play any role. The author is specific in his narration and abstains from speculation. He concludes that no clear conclusion can be drawn. There is no reason to doubt that he found Boeing 747 debris on his beach walks. And if he did, that proves that the Boeing was shot down much further South, and it implies Japanese or American military shot down the Boeing, by mistake, of course.

Назад