DOT moves closer to antitrust immunity for "oneworld" alliance

Lukas

Старожил
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE61D17D20100214

DOT moves closer to antitrust immunity for "oneworld" alliance
The Department of Transportation tentatively approved the antitrust immunity request from the "oneworld" airline alliance. "If the decision is made final, American and its 'oneworld' alliance partners British Airways, Iberia Airlines, Finnair and Royal Jordanian Airlines would be able to more closely coordinate international operations in trans-Atlantic markets," the DOT said. Reuters

Branson says DOT's "oneworld" decision is "kick in the teeth": Sir Richard Branson, head of Virgin Atlantic, criticized the decision by the U.S. government to tentatively approve the antitrust immunity of the "oneworld" airline alliance and said it would "blatantly harm competition and the consumer."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8514671.stm

Реклама
Why not? Actually that’s the first time I hear about such immunity. Usually US courts are crazy about deals like that

Lukas, this is not something unusual. *A has this immunity for UA/LH/CO/BD/AC transatlantic service. And I reckon Delta got one 7 or 8 years ago for joint operations with AF/KL.

luitje, thats not just a joint venture. That will be a monopoly over trans-Atlantic controling over 2/3 of the traffic

luitje, thats not just a joint venture. That will be a monopoly over trans-Atlantic controling over 2/3 of the traffic

Exaggeration.
More like 28% or so, not 75% and that's only US-Europe traffic, not all transatlantic. I wouldn't call it a monopoly either, more like - less competition between themselves. They will still be separate companies.

Sir Branson needs to realize that he will have to start paying for Virgin's airplanes one day and stop firing flight attendants that turned 30 before he calls anything unfair :) Also his pilots are the lowest payed widebody pilots in the World.

Lukas,
I understand your point. I see how you meant good things in this.

There is only one problem - do you care what THEY want? Or did you decide how their lives should go for them?

That's the big difference between Russia and freedom. America is build on pursuit of happiness by individuals as a key point of the Constitution. And age is not a determining factor at all.
Russia is millions light years away from understanding that let along implementing it.

PS As for me personally I'd rather fly an airline where the crews are paid the most and have best schedules. That set up attracts the best professionals. Others can have their 25 year old flight attendants and low paid pilots if they so crave it :)

Branson is destroing this career trading experience for flashy looks that will not save your life in emergency evac. He is smart only in one thing - in finding the reason how to underpay the employees. That's why he is hated so much by all who works for him.

No, I dont
did you decide how their lives should go for them?
have no intention at all in doing anything like that.

And thats my personal, individual freedom - I want to have nice, young, sexy smiling girls next to me. Even if ugly old bones have the same constitution rights. I do respect their rights, but I have my rights of chosing Virgin – and I like that airline even knowing that Branson plays his “Mr. Freedom” games being in fact much more prudent rustler

And I know a little what stewardesses want – I’m married with the best one :)

Lukas,
You misunderstand pursuit of happiness all together. Not surprising at all - you exist in the country of slaves and slave owners with no morals.
You need to understand the responsibility behind your chooses and how it will change the world.
If you support Bransons killing the industry - than it is the kind of future you will get.

I support good employers who attract young professionals as well and ALSO treat them like human beings.

Let me say it more clear. I can do it in Russian if it is hard to understand, but I would like to follow the rules of this section of the forum

NOTHING IS WRONG WITH PRETTY GIRLS.
EVERYTHING IS WRONG WITH PAYING LOW WAGES!

Do you understand me now??!! :) :) :)

Sorry I served in VDV in combat for over a year and grew up fast. If you can translate this into Russian and still disagree - you need some growing up to do and see how your choices affect the society you live in. ;)

Реклама
Ok, lets follow the rules
So, whats wrong in low wages? We may argue for too long if that is good for the industry/passengers/airlines/etc or bad, but as long as the crew member agrees to it.... Its their choice to join Virgin for lower benefits or go to BA office for higher ones. And next day after joining BA anyway they go on strike asking for more and more and killing their airline to the end.

And what do you mean by VDV?- Airborn? you hardly impressed me with your 1 year - I passed Afghanistan, Angola and DRC and was there for much longer, but that has nothing with the issue we discuss

Following the rules is nice. It's another difference between Russia and civilized societies.

I wrote on this already: low wages drive professionals away. People whom you want to be there to save your life go elsewhere and people who shouldn't touch airplanes replace them.

It is about the quality of professionals certain airlines attract. Once they stop attracting pros - it is destroying the industry from what it could be.

I don't mean to impress you in any way, I just assume that grow ups should understand this simple concept.
And if you don't - you don't impress me with your resume either.

you hardly impressed me with your 1 year - I passed Afghanistan, Angola and DRC and was there for much longer, but that has nothing with the issue we discuss

It has nothing to do with time. We are not excons to compare who did what longer.
I served at war and in VDV. Nothing can measure up to that. If you had anything to do with losing friends or fighting out numbered by the factor of 5 - you would understand. If not - it truly is impossible to explain. Please don't take it as anything offensive.

Hopefully you understand my point about professionals and what they worth.
If you still don't - I have nothing more to add.

All the best!

Last PPS, I promise!!

next day after joining BA anyway they go on strike asking for more and more and killing their airline to the end.

Simple truth - the employees are the last people on Earth who want to kill their employers. The rest is media and Russian TV misinformation.

And NEVER call it your opinion. It is the lack of information and ignorance.

Последнее редактирование:
Well, I do not understand what is the problem of low wages either. What stops Virgin pilots from quitting their current employer and flying somewhere else? It's UK, so I suppose they're much less slave owners than in evil Russia, uh?

Low wages drive professionals away? And what is the measure of how professional airline's pilots are? Its safety record maybe? Then VA isn't any worse than many other airlines.

It is a market after all. Every airline is free to choose its own balance between crew wages, ad spendings and other things. And the metric of success here is company's profit and if passenger (and not flight or cabin crew, sorry) is satisfied.

And, you know, writing thing like
Not surprising at all - you exist in the country of slaves and slave owners with no morals.
is not what a grown-up would write. Too childish.

The rest is media and Russian TV misinformation.

And NEVER call it your opinion. It is the lack of information and ignorance.
Well, dont we start that discussion by mentioning human rights for having their opinions? :)
I dont have a TV at home, so no need to blame Russian media. 40% of my time I'm working with Russians and 60% with Western world, and I saw not less business ruined by unions then by wrong management.

by mentioning human rights for having their opinions

Good job, you are catching up!
Inform yourself, then form an opinion, not the other way around. Human rights is exactly - the right to know the truth.

We did start this discussion with ability of people older then 30 continue to work in their chosen field and not be fired solely based on their age.

It had very little to do with their opinions on different subjects :)

Реклама
What stops Virgin pilots from quitting their current employer and flying somewhere else?

1. They have to pass the interview and many can't.
2. The pay depends on years of seniority and they, after putting a few years in, are reluctant to leave.
3. Young pilots simply don't have the qualifications to be considered by better company.

Назад