TRANSLATIONS

Lisa

Местный
As this sector appears to be the least flooded one :) so that a thread is least likely to be lost, i propose to reserve this space for translations of aviation-related terms and expressions. unfortunately, dictionaries cannot be trusted when it comes to professional lingo and i for one often need advise from all of you, professional community, on how to translate most adequately.
i also promise to share whatever "lucky guesses" i encounter in my work.

here's question no. 1:

-- improving passenger experience --

that's what you all guys are working at, at airlines, airports and agencies.
any ideas?

Реклама
FW,
if you mean that a "co-pilot" is an "improved passenger" - that's :) but i know a few folks here that would argue. no, i mean, how you would translate "improving passenger experience" which is a series of measures undertaken by carriers, airports, ticket agents, solution suppliers and what not with a single aim: MAKE A PAX FLY AGAIN!
for instance, VIP-lounges in airports, Wi-Fi onboard, Miles&More and so on. somehow "дополнительные услуги для пассажиров" doesn't sound right.

Последнее редактирование:
This phrase is often used by the management folks. I worked for 2 airlines in the US and heard it probably a million times. It seems they teach it in the Executive MBA programs :)

I would interpret it as improving service or making flights more enjoyable. So that your airline's service will stand out and people chose to fly your company again.

Airports too try to improve their operations, but for the most part is just blah, blah since most of them don't really compete with each other. Real differences in experience for passengers starts once they walk in the gate area and get on their trip on a certain airline.

My 2 cents.
Hope this helps

P.S. By the way, Lisa and FW, excellent English! My hat's off!

Patriot,
thanks. your comments help in the way that now i know the phrase is the new "hot" and that's exactly what i need for my article. i guess if i invent the right expression in Russian i can copyright it and start selling to S7 or DMD :)

FW,
never mind, will you? peace now. i sort of appreciate this chance to practice and improve my "professional skills". when i translated materials for sas flight academy and for iata i had lots of questions and not too many people to ask. i think poor translations have done enough trouble, and i want to use this opportunity to share and learn from professionals. i personally don't think it's Unsinn, but i wouldn't insist.

next question. this time - there MUST be an exact translation:

--SPECIAL SERVICE REQUESTS--

as far as I'm concerned, special service request is kinda right to order additional services, not included in a standard list. Like sea-food for economy class we were talking about recently ;)

тип, а тип,
ёкэлэмэнэ. я знаю, ЧТО это. я спрашиваю, КАК это ПЕРЕВОДИТСЯ. и ведь есть люди, которые знают...

SSR can be specialfood (like vegi) or UAM (unaccompanied minor) or... what else's on the list? what d'ya call it po-Russki?

Got you! :D Aeroflot calls it special services (spetsial'niye uslugi po-russki, if you wish) :D Reffer to: page 7, point 7. Other local airlines don't have firm oppinion about that :)

What can you say in English for "подхват" (as happened in the Tu-154 crash near Donetsk)?
Pick-up? Not really, I think...

This phrase is often used by the management folks. I worked for 2 airlines in the US and heard it probably a million times. It seems they teach it in the Executive MBA programs

Patriot is absolutely right, this is a bzz word.
Linga created by professionals to make it sound very important and special :)
Good to use in meetings and resumes in order to imress others and create effect of expert knowlege of the subject/business, so in real live does not make a difference.

Remember old defenition from Soviet era: "ИБД/IBD" imitacia burnoi deiatelnosti?, YES!, "this is from the same opera".

Plus, some expressions just impossible to translate to other languages, somtemies due to national specifics of culture and business.

Film "BORAT" is very very good example of that, you can have a lot of fun. It is also stress some translation issues and a bit related to aviation :).

If you did not see this movie you missed a lot...

, best vay to view it in original laungage (English) you would have a lot of fun.

Pls. let us know your opinion about this film.

I am positive it would help a lot of translators in the professional develpement.

Enjoy and Good Luck!

Реклама
Кepим Aбдyл Джaбир сказал(а):
Remember old defenition from Soviet era: "ИБД" имитация бурной деятельности?, YES!, "this is from the same opera".

Well, I completely disagree with that statement for several reasons. As far as I know, that specific term is a part of the techniques to measure passenger’s satisfactory and therefore important gauge of the performance of the airlines. I would argue that airlines which presently are or were in past under bankruptcy protection will be reactant to spend time and money on any research and review unless it will produce the important results.

Pax,

i tend to agree with you - you must be more receptive to the topic because of your nick :)

i ended up re-phrasing and translating it as клиент-(otherwise пассажир-)ориентированный подход.

Кepим Aбдyл Джaбир,
i'd make one small correction to what you say. it's true only if said about Russian carriers. others do seem to be concered with addressing "passenger pain points".

feel free to use, everyone. and thanks for the input.

how do you guys call "unruly passengers" in Russian? no, i mean officially. unofficially i can guess...

thanks for help anyone, who' got a minute to type the reply.

пассажир не подчиняющийся требованиям экипажа(?), i guess

Micro сказал(а):
What can you say in English for "подхват" (as happened in the Tu-154 crash near Donetsk)?
Pick-up? Not really, I think...
Updraft.

Lisa сказал(а):
how do you guys call "unruly passengers" in Russian? no, i mean officially. unofficially i can guess...

thanks for help anyone, who' got a minute to type the reply.
Пассажир нарушающий правила нахождения на борту ВС that's official.

Назад