Новости компании Boeing

Today's Women Design and Build Boeing Airplanes

by Stephen M. Davis

Just over a decade after the dawn of powered flight, in 1916, women in Seattle stitched white Irish linen over spars crafted from Northwest spruce to build the first Boeing B&W seaplanes.

With a Boeing 737-800 behind them, Boeing engineers Lori Bechtold, left, and Peg Curtin hold a balsa-wood model like the one Curtin uses in career workshops for girls at middle schools and high schools.

From the first aircraft of a new company to the worldwide production and support of thousands of jetliners in service today, women have contributed significantly to the success of The Boeing Company.

Be it research, design, test, fabrication or fleet support, women at Boeing are creating products and services to meet the demand of the future.

Yet at Boeing -- as with the rest of the nation, there are fewer women in engineering careers than you might expect. According to 2002 data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, women represent just over 10 percent of the engineers in the US.

"At some point in our lives we choose a career path," says Peg Curtin, a Boeing aerodynamics engineer. "In our case, it's one that wasn't expected."

Here, a group of female engineers at Boeing say how they became part of that 10 percent and what keeps them in it today.

"In 1967 I stitched together a kite for a high school project," says Curtin. "I liked sewing and here was something that felt more like it used math and science, subjects I enjoyed."

So she was ready to consider a career when she saw a brochure on engineering in her counselor's office. "It felt like I had found something that made good use of my skills."

Curtin's kite project led her to Notre Dame, where she earned bachelors and masters degrees in aerospace engineering, and then to Boeing. She now works with wind tunnels that blast high-speed air over models of new airplane configurations. Her computer runs computational fluid dynamics programs that predict how different shapes will perform. Curtin stays in touch with a worldwide community of engineers and scientists.

"I like to solve problems. Give me something to solve, I will analyze it one way, try something new and analyze it again."

Curtin's contribution will make new Boeing airplanes like the proposed 7E7 Dreamliner more efficient, quieter and easier to operate. She anticipates contributing to its development, like she did from start to finish on the 777 passenger jet. "It's cool to watch an airplane fly after working on it from the beginning."

Boeing mechanical engineer Jeanne Yu leads a team designing the cabin systems for the Dreamliner.

"To me, what's most rewarding is seeing our people come together to accomplish these complex designs."

Yu assembles Boeing designers and production experts, and those of suppliers, to make the cabin more and more people friendly. "I find out where the technology is ready and then find ways to bring it onto the airplane."

"In high school I enjoyed math and science," she says, but her career goals didn't include them.

"Then one day, my parents drove me to Michigan Tech University from our home in Illinois – more than 800 miles – to attend a workshop called "Women in Engineering." I listened to other women talk about their jobs and it was there that I decided I would become a mechanical engineer." Yu attended Stanford, earning an advanced degree in 1985.

"Now, I use my analytical skills to create the interpersonal environment that builds the right relationships. Finding the right people, creating ways to get the discussion going, and finding out what we need to learn. We pursue an ongoing creative team process to get best technological features on the airplane."

Lori Bechtold, a Boeing reliability engineer, designs by seeing how well products actually work. "I have a morbid fascination with failure," she said, "and I use my design knowledge to prevent it."

Bechtold is in the Boeing Phantom Works group, which creates new technologies for use on any Boeing design: spacecraft, military hardware, electronics and aircraft.

She evaluates commonly available electronics, like cellular phones, as components of the complex mix of electronic systems used on airplanes. "Can they pull high-Gs?" she asks.

"I can't remember a time when I wasn't interested in math," she said. Her father was a math teacher in New York. "Our high school had a math club and we would just devour the math journals that came into the library."

Bechtold followed her passion for math to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge, then to Boeing where another passion took hold: flight.

"I just soloed June 23 in a Cessna 172. With my hand on the yoke, I can feel what it's like for our customers," she says.

"A couple of years after we built the first 777, I flew on one as a tourist and it was beyond excitement to see the steward using the touchscreen I had worked on. I saw how it made his job easier.

"That's what I live for, improving someone's quality of life."

"In my senior year of high school," recalls Kim Pastega, "I was fairly strong in math and science and my counselor suggested engineering. I can honestly say that at the time, I didn't even know what an engineer did.

"I was always up for a challenge and didn't like to be told that I couldn't do something just because I was a woman."

Boeing engineers Jeanne Yu and Kim Pastega stand inside a fuselage section of a Boeing 777 model airplane under construction at the Boeing Everett, Wash., facility.
Pastega began her Boeing career as in intern before completing her degree in aerospace engineering at Iowa State University in 1991. She stepped into the Payloads organization and now manages a 125-person group that works alongside Boeing production crews as they manufacture the interior elements -- overhead stow bins, sidewalls, ceilings -- of Boeing commercial airplanes.

Her group integrates a full spectrum of engineering disciplines: design, manufacturing engineering, stress, numerical control programming, tooling and process engineering.

"I have always liked the broad overview of how an airplane comes together."

The challenge for Pastega, and all of Boeing, is the increasing complexity of technology. The answer, says Pastega, "requires the collaboration and involvement of many."

"Our team works very closely across the entire value chain."

Says Pastega, "My reward is the overall accomplishment of a goal. At the end, when the airplane is being delivered it is satisfying to know that I had something to do with it. The power of the team is tremendous."

Encouraging Female Students to Enter Engineering Careers

Across the Boeing enterprise, women engineers are taking a direct approach working with non-profit organizations and schools to encourage young women to enter careers in engineering and science.

Peg Curtin, Boeing aerodynamicist in Seattle's Commercial Airplanes unit, works with the American Association of University Women to lead twice-annual workshops for girls at middle schools and high schools.

Mona Simpson, director of Supplier Management and Procurement of Boeing Phantom Works in southern California, has been an active member of the Mexican-American Engineering Society for more than 15 years. She takes a special interest in working with Hispanic children to encourage them to continue their education, especially in the sciences.

Olympia LePoint, a systems safety and reliability engineer with Boeing Integrated Defense Systems at Canoga Park, CA, speaks with elementary, middle school and high school students about the importance of math and science through the DiscoverE Program in her northern Los Angeles neighborhood.

Candice M. Smith, an F/A-18 integration engineer in Boeing Integrated Defense Systems at St. Louis, meets with students in various grade levels through Boeing-sponsored school-visit programs in St. Louis.

In Curtin's workshop, she flies balsa wood gliders. "If a couple of girls walk away and think it is fun to fly, then I have done my job."

Реклама
Boeing Receives FAA Approval for Jeppesen EFB on 777

SEATTLE, Oct. 27, 2003 -- The U. S. Federal Aviation Administration has approved new Boeing [NYSE:BA] flight deck technology that will lower pilot workload and reduce flight delays by giving pilots better access to critical information.

The FAA action allows Boeing to install the Class 3 version of the Jeppesen Electronic Flight Bag (EFB) on the Boeing 777. This is the first time a fully integrated Class 3 EFB has been approved for commercial service. In addition, the European Joint Airworthiness Authorities (JAA) have agreed to accept the FAA authorization as certification for the nations under its purview.

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines took delivery of the first 777 equipped with a Class 3, certified EFB. All 10 of the 777-200ERs KLM has ordered will have EFB on board.

"This is a vital milestone in our effort to e-enable the air transport system," said Ray Marzullo, Boeing vice president, Flight Services. "The EFB will bring airlines significant gains in efficiency and situational awareness through the strategic application and integration of data."

The EFB transforms into digital format all the printed material pilots use to fly, including navigational charts, flight manuals and logbooks. It also offers:

An airport moving map feature that precisely displays the airplane's position on an airport tarmac.

A performance calculator that allows the pilot to instantly calculate ideal speeds and engine settings, taking into account any weather, runway, and payload. Such instant calculations could help KLM carry as much as 9,000 kg (20,000 lbs.) extra on a flight. A similar function to support landing calculations also is included.

A viewer for cabin surveillance systems that helps meet new and anticipated regulatory requirements. The first unit with cabin surveillance will be delivered in March 2004; units delivered earlier will be retrofitted.

Boeing's Crew Information Services integrated, certified and installed the EFB systems, using Jeppesen software and Astronautics Corp. of America hardware.

The FAA certification represents the agency's first ever approval under Advisory Circular 120-76A of a fully integrated, Class 3 EFB for commercial service.

Boeing идет на риск
Авиастроительная корпорация Boeing готова пойти на беспрецедентный шаг - начать производство нового самолета без гарантированных заказов от американских авиаперевозчиков. Новую модель 7E7 компания намерена продавать японским Japan Airlines и All Nippon Airways, для которых она даже готова разработать специальную модификацию самолета. Всю эту спешку Boeing затеяла для того, чтобы не проиграть в конкурентной борьбе европейской EADS

Рискованный шаг Boeing связан с тем, что компании необходимо обновить модельный ряд, состоящий из устаревающих 757-й и 767-й моделей. Другой причиной является разработка европейским концерном EADS новой сверхбольшой модели Airbus. По расчетам наблюдателей, EADS должен в этом году впервые опередить Boeing по объемам продаж самолетов. Между тем американские авиакомпании пока не желают тратить средства на новые лайнеры, в то время когда дела в отрасли обстоят не лучшим образом.

Поэтому Boeing предложила новый лайнер 7Е7 на 200 мест двум крупнейшим японским авиаперевозчикам, Japan Airlines и All Nippon Airways. Сейчас они также испытывают трудности, связанные с бушевавшей в Азии эпидемией атипичной пневмонии. Но пережить неблагоприятную конъюнктуру рынка им помогает финансовая помощь японского правительства.

Всего Boeing планирует произвести до 3000 7Е7. Предполагается, что первые самолеты будут введены в эксплуатацию в 2008 г. По словам источника, хорошо знакомого с ситуацией в компании, в сентябре президент и генеральный директор подразделения Boeing по производству коммерческих самолетов Алан Мулэлли встречался в Токио с руководителями Japan Airlines и All Nippon Airways. Представители этих компаний заинтересованы в проекте.

Мулэлли поехал в Токио за несколько месяцев до того, как Boeing планировала начать переговоры о продажах модели 7Е7. Это подтверждает решимость Boeing построить новый самолет. Однако решение разрабатывать новую модель без договоренностей с американскими клиентами выглядит рискованным. Ранее, создавая 737-ю и 777-ю модели, Boeing тесно сотрудничала с одной-двумя крупнейшими американскими авиакомпаниями. Обычно такая совместная работа позволяет будущим покупателям влиять на процесс сборки самолета. Так, в попытках уговорить потенциальных покупателей Boeing планирует поручить японским компаниям престижную работу по сборке крыльев для нового лайнера.

По словам источника, знакомого с проектом Boeing, интерес японских авиаперевозчиков к 7Е7 может дать неоднозначный результат. Дело в том, что обеим компаниям самолет нужен для сравнительно коротких внутренних маршрутов. В то же время Boeing позиционировала 7Е7 как замену устаревающим самолетам, выполняющим дальние международные рейсы.

Кроме того, сконструированный с учетом пожеланий японских клиентов самолет может не отвечать требованиям других потенциальных клиентов. Однако в компании считают, что в результате могут получиться три различные модификации 7Е7: японский вариант, самолет для более дальних перелетов, предназначенный для "остального мира", и последняя - для сверхдальних перелетов. Продажу самолетов последнего варианта компания рассчитывает начать лишь через несколько лет.

Источник: газета "InvestGazeta"

Boeing 777-300ER приземлится в Новосибирске
В конце ноября в Новосибирске совершит посадку новый лайнер Boeing 777-300ER. Полет будет выполняться в рамках тестовых полетов по системе ETOPS. Ожидается, что стоянка самолета будет длиться около суток. Ориентировочные сроки визита - 18-23 ноября.

Boeing 777-300ER является самым дальним самолетом из семейства 777 и сегодня проходит испытания. Самолет способен перевозить до 365 пассажиров на расстояние 13750 км. В апреле 2004 года первый Boeing 777-300ER будет поставлен компании International Lease Finance Corp. Первым оператором этого самолета станет авиакомпания Air France.

Программа ETOPS предусматривает эксплуатацию двухдвигательных самолетов на маршрутах большой протяженности, отдельные участки которых находятся на удалении более 60 минут летного времени от ближайшего аэропорта. Она доказала пригодность самолетов, оснащенных двумя двигателями, для полетов по дальним и сверхдальним маршрутам.

Источник: веб-сервер "АвиаПорт.Ру"

Boeing Names Jamieson Chief Technology Officer

CHICAGO, Oct. 30, 2003 – Boeing [NYSE: BA] today named Senior Vice President James M. Jamieson as its chief technology officer, responsible for shaping the strategic technology vision of the world’s leading aerospace company. Jamieson, 55, is a 27-year veteran of the company and most recently has been the senior vice president of airplane programs for Boeing Commercial Airplanes in Seattle, Wash.

“Jim’s background in engineering design and production, along with his experience applying technology in our products and systems, will add new insight and dimension to Boeing’s strategic technology initiatives,” said Boeing Chairman and CEO Phil Condit.

Jamieson will relocate to Boeing’s Chicago world headquarters and report directly to Condit. He will also serve on the company’s Strategy Council and Executive Council. As the chief technology officer, he will provide executive oversight to technology initiatives occurring in Phantom Works, the advanced research and development unit of the company; Boeing Ventures, an innovation incubator for employees’ ideas; the Intellectual Property Business, which promotes new applications for Boeing technologies; and External Technical Affiliations, which fosters relationships with universities and professional engineering organizations.

Jamieson is replacing David O. Swain, who in July was named chief operating officer for Boeing Integrated Defense Systems.

As senior vice president of airplane programs, Jamieson was responsible for overseeing the design and production of all Boeing commercial airplanes. He has been credited with leading an innovative restructuring of the company’s production systems, including the implementation of the first and only moving assembly lines in the commercial airplane industry. Prior to that he led Boeing’s single aisle airplane programs, served as general manager of the 737/757 programs, and headed aircraft systems and interiors.

Jamieson joined Boeing in 1973 after earning a B.S. in science and humanities from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where in 1978 he also earned an M.S. in chemical engineering. He currently lives in Seattle, Wash., with his wife; they have three grown children.

Boeing Commercial Airplanes Makes Key Executive Appointments

SEATTLE, Oct. 30, 2003 -- Boeing [NYSE:BA] today announced two key executive appointments in Commercial Airplanes:

Michael J. Cave has been named senior vice president -- Airplane Programs with overall responsibility for the 717, 737, 747, 757, 767 and 777 businesses. He succeeds James M. Jamieson, who today was named chief technology officer for The Boeing Company.

Louis J. Mancini succeeds Cave as senior vice president -- Commercial Aviation Services, the unit that provides around-the-clock support for Boeing commercial airplanes operating worldwide.

Cave and Mancini report to Boeing Commercial Airplanes President and Chief Executive Officer Alan Mulally.

"Mike and Lou are tremendous leaders who understand our customers and our business plan for making them successful," Mulally said. "In these new roles, they will ensure our continued focus on providing the world's airlines with the products and services they need to remain prosperous in a very dynamic business environment."

Cave, 43, has held several executive positions in Boeing. Prior to leading Commercial Aviation Services he was chief financial officer for Commercial Airplanes and vice president -- Finance for Boeing's Information Space & Defense Systems. He joined the company in 1983 and holds an engineering degree from Purdue University.

Mancini, 53, joined Boeing in 2002 as vice president -- maintenance services, the unit responsible for providing customer airlines with maintenance and engineering.

From 1995 to 2002, he was vice president -- Engineering and Technical Operations for United Airlines. Prior to that, he held a number of senior positions at Northwest Airlines, including vice president -- Technical Operations and vice president -- Engineering, Inspection and Quality Assurance. From 1985 to 1991, he worked in key maintenance and engineering leadership posts at United Airlines.

Before launching his aerospace career, Mancini held a variety of management positions at Shell Development Co., in Houston, and Chevron in San Francisco. He has an engineering degree from the University of Illinois, and doctorate and master's degrees in operations research from Stanford University.

Материал www.euronews.net

Первым делом, - самолеты, но только военные. В третьем квратале чистая прибыль американского авиастроительного концерна "Боинг" сократилась на 31% - до 256 млн долларов. В основном - за счет негативных показателей подразделения по производству гражданских авиалайнеров. Его обороты за квратал упали на 17%.

При этом оборонно-космический бизнес "Боинга" процветает. На американском рынке военных заказов "Боинг" занимает второе место. Квартальные доходы этого подразделения выросли на 11% и составили 7,3 млрд долларов.

В этом году "Боинг" делает ставку на военные проекты. Инвесторы тоже: акции "Боинга" на бирже подорожали на 7%.
_________

ps этот же материал на моем сайте
хотелось бы услышать ваше мнение о дизайне страницы. Мнение присылайте в приват

Boeing 7E7 Dreamliner Passes Firm Concept Milestone

EVERETT, Wash., Nov. 3, 2003 - The Boeing [NYSE: BA] 7E7 Dreamliner program recently defined in broad terms the all-new passenger airplane's size and functionality, in so doing completing a major milestone known as "firm concept."

In passing that milestone the 7E7 team turned its focus to more specifically defining the shape of various parts, structural capabilities of the airplane, and the way the flight controls will operate.

"This is a significant technical accomplishment," said Mike Bair, senior vice president of the 7E7 program. "We are making solid design progress as we make the decisions that will allow us to bring this airplane into service in 2008."

A shorter-range version of the 7E7 has been added to the 7E7 family plan. The shorter-range 7E7 will be the same size as the baseline 7E7 but configured in single-class seating to accommodate about 300 passengers. It also will feature changes in the wing and landing gear to optimize its mission. The anticipated range for the short-range 7E7 is 3,500 nautical miles (6,500 kilometers).

As part of ongoing airplane refinements, the team also revised the projected range of the baseline 7E7 to 7,800 nautical miles (14,500 kilometers) and the stretch 7E7's to 8,300 nautical miles (15,400 kilometers).

"We've examined a number of different range capabilities in this general area for these airplanes," Bair said. "The changes have been fairly subtle, all around the 7,000 to 8,000 nautical mile area. The range may continue to change in the months ahead as we continue to learn more specifics about airline requirements."

Completing "firm concept" concludes the first exploratory round of wind tunnel tests and begins the first design cycle of wind tunnel test and design structural loads.

Another refinement to the 7E7 plan has been the rescheduling of an engine-supplier selection to mid-2004 from the end of this year.

"The three engine manufacturers are showing tremendous cooperation as they evolve the technologies and engine designs for the 7E7 program," said Bair. "We believe enough improvement is being made that it is in the program's best interest to give the engine companies a few more months to evolve their offerings and put forth the best possible solutions. We have discussed this with the engine companies and all three agreed to continue their work on the program."

The 7E7's next major milestone is gaining authority to offer from the Boeing board of directors. That's expected to happen late this year or early in 2004. Other program milestones include initial customer commitments in mid-2004, firm configuration, expected in mid-2005; start of major assembly, planned for 2006; first flight, schedule in late 2007; certification in mid-2008; and first delivery, which will occur shortly after certification.

Boeing to Convert Five MD-11s to Freighters for Lufthansa Cargo

Fleet standardization and common operational features to benefit carrier

SEATTLE, Nov. 4, 2003 - The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] is helping Lufthansa Cargo improve its operational efficiency by converting five MD-11 passenger airplanes into freighters and updating them with features such as the flight deck and cargo-handling system so that they are consistent across Lufthansa Cargo's fleet.

The conversions are part of the carrier's fleet-standardization plan. The MD-11s will replace 747-200s in the Lufthansa Cargo fleet and increase to 19 the number of MD-11s the carrier operates.

"We will strengthen Lufthansa Cargo's competitive position in the long term in a generally difficult market," said Jean-Peter Jansen, chairman of the Lufthansa Cargo Executive Board. "By rejuvenating the fleet, we can produce more efficiently, and react even more flexibly to fluctuations in the market and demand."

Passenger to freighter modification involves primarily the removal of the passenger furnishings, installation of a side cargo door and installation of a cargo handling system. The work typically takes about four months.

Boeing Commercial Aviation Services will provide detailed engineering design work and oversight of the Lufthansa Cargo conversions, with SASCO, a subsidiary of Singapore Technologies Aerospace, providing touch labor on the airplanes.

Modification work will begin in June 2004. The first two airplanes will be redelivered to Lufthansa Cargo in mid-December of that year. Two more airplanes will be completed in January 2005, with the final to be complete in February 2005.

"We are excited to work with Lufthansa Cargo as a key operator that recognizes the value of the MD-11 as an efficient, productive freighter," said Mike Stewart, vice president of Freighter Conversions for Boeing Commercial Aviation Services.

A converted MD-11 has a capacity of 205,400-pound (93.2 tones) structural payload at a range of 3,486 nautical miles (6,456 kilometers) and is capable of 630,500-pounds (286,000 kg) maximum takeoff weight. The main and lower deck cargo compartments hold a total of 36 96- by 125-in pallets or containers.

In total, Boeing has converted more than 40 MD-11 passenger airplanes to freighters.

Китай намерен купить у американской компании Boeing до 30 пассажирских
авиалайнеров, сообщает Newsru.com со ссылкой на Bloomberg. О сделке на 2 млрд
долл. будет официально объявлено во время визита премьер-министра Китая Вен
Джиабао в Вашингтон. Ожидается, что покупателями лайнеров Boeing 737 выступят
государственные китайские авиакомпании Shandong Airlines и Xiamen Airlines.

В настоящее время дефицит США при торговле с Китаем превышает 130 млрд долл.

источник:/Финмаркет/

Реклама
Air Europa Adds More Boeing 737-800s to its All-Boeing Fleet

SEATTLE, Nov. 4, 2003 - Spanish carrier Air Europa has signed an order for four new Boeing [NYSE: BA] 737-800 airplanes, for delivery in 2004, with an additional 11 737 orders on the horizon. The first four will be leased from ITOCHU AirLease, B.V.
Air Europa, headquartered in Llucmajor, Mallorca, and operator of an all-Boeing fleet of 737s and 767s, will use the new airplanes within Spain and on intra-European routes. The four 737-800s will replace 737-400s.

"These are the first four of 15 additional 737s we will order for fleet renewal and expansion," said Juan Jose Hidalgo, president, Globalia Corporación Empresarial. "We have operated the 737-800 for more than three years and know its reputation for reliability is well deserved. These airplanes allow us to deliver passengers to their destinations on time and their low operating costs make them extremely profitable to fly."

Hidalgo said the size and performance of the 737-800 makes it the perfect airplane for short European routes and longer routes to destinations in the Canary Islands. Air Europa uses 737-800s equipped with performance-enhancing blended winglets for the longer routes.

The 737-800s are powered by new CFM56-7 engines produced by CFMI, a joint venture between Snecma of France and General Electric of the U.S. The engines meet community noise restrictions well below current Stage 3 limits and below anticipated Stage 4 limits.

In all aspects the 737-800 is environmentally friendly. The entire family of Next-Generation 737 airplanes easily meets international emissions limits for hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide, smoke and nitrogen oxide. All 737s manufactured today are also quieter than the international noise standards established for 2006.

"The 737-800, with its quieter engines, is the perfect airplane to operate in and out of a noise-sensitive airport such as Madrid, which is one of Air Europa's main hubs," said Marlin Dailey, vice president of European Sales, Boeing Commercial Airplanes.

The 737-800 has the most advanced-design technology in the single-aisle market, with an all-new wing and updated liquid-crystal displays in the flight deck. The Air Europa 737-800s, which will seat 186 passengers, have an interior that features new soft, indirect lighting that enhances cabin ambience as well as a smooth, sculptured ceiling that gives the passenger cabin a more open, spacious feel.

Air Europa, founded in 1986, is the air travel division of Globalia Corporación. Since 1991, Air Europa has focused on becoming one of the leading airlines in Europe. Air Europa operates a fleet of 30 Boeing airplanes on a network that includes most of the Spanish territory. Its continuous expansion process has led the company to establish new European destinations such as Paris, Milan, Rome and London, as well as transatlantic destinations including Salvador de Bahía, Havana, Santo Domingo, Caracas, Cancún and Punta Cana. As part of an effort to provide more comfortable and geographically complete service to customers, Air Europa has signed collaboration agreements with Aeropostal, Air France, Air Luxor, Alitalia, Continential Airlines, KLM, Malev, Southern Winds and Tunisair.

China Orders 30 More Airplanes from Boeing

WASHINGTON, Nov. 12, 2003 -- The Boeing Company [NYSE:BA] today confirmed that China Aviation Supply Company has finalized its agreement to purchase 30 Next-Generation 737 airplanes worth approximately $1.7 billion, based on average list prices.

U.S. Secretary of Commerce Donald Evans hosted a signing ceremony for the agreement at the Department of Commerce. Zhang Guobao, vice chairman -- National Development and Reform Commission, led the People's Republic of China's delegation while Boeing Commercial Airplanes President and Chief Executive Officer Alan Mulally was Boeing's senior representative.

"The Chinese aviation industry is the fastest growing market in the world," Zhang said. "Adding these 737 airplanes to our current fleet of 672 airplanes will help Chinese airlines meet their rapidly growing networks and accommodate the rising demand from our passengers."

The airplanes, to be delivered in 2005 and 2006, are allocated as follows:

Airline Quantity Model
Air China 5 737-700
Hainan Airlines 8 737-800
Shandong Airlines 3
4 737-700
737-800
Shenzhen Airlines 5 737-900
Xiamen Airlines 5 737-700

"The Next-Generation 737 is an excellent answer to the growing demand for air travel in China," said Li Jun, vice minister - General Administration of Civil Aviation of China. "These airplanes will play an important role in meeting the ever-increasing demand of China's air travel market."

Derived from an outstanding heritage, the newest members of the 737 family -- the 737-600/-700/-800/-900 models -- entered service just five years ago. The all-new digitally designed 737s are outfitted with larger wings and more powerful engines, which allow them to fly higher, faster, and farther than previous models and competing airplanes. In addition, new flight deck features include advanced programmable software and liquid-crystal flat-panel displays that are not available on competing models.

"China and Boeing have shared a long and mutually beneficial relationship for more than 30 years," Mulally said. "We are proud to be the preferred partner of China's aviation industry."

Boeing forecasts that in the next 20 years, China will require 2,400 new airplanes valued at $197 billion, making it one of the fastest growing markets in the world for commercial aviation. The need for new airplanes is required to support a 7.1 percent annual increase in air travel in China from 2003 to 2022, compared to the world average of 5.1 percent. China's 20-year Gross Domestic Product (GDP) forecast is 6.2 percent -- the highest in the world, and Boeing projects that domestic air travel growth will outpace the GDP growth over the next two decades.

Last year, Boeing and China celebrated the 30th anniversary of their "Working Together" relationship.

Boeing is the world's largest aerospace company and the United States' leading exporter with revenues of $54.1 billion in 2002. The company and its subsidiaries employ more than 152,000 people in 47 states. In the past 12 months, Boeing business with more than 21,000 companies has totaled approximately $24 billion. It includes work with production suppliers and non-production vendors.

Boeing to Refocus Scope of Boeing Capital Corporation

CHICAGO, Nov. 12, 2003 – The Boeing Company [NYSE:BA] announced today it will refocus the strategic direction of wholly-owned subsidiary Boeing Capital Corporation to concentrate on supporting the operations of the company’s business units. Walt Skowronski, 55, Boeing senior vice president of Finance and Treasurer, will become president of Boeing Capital Corporation. He replaces Jim Palmer, who has decided to retire from the corporation after more than 12 years with Boeing.

“We are very grateful for Jim’s service to Boeing and for leading Boeing Capital these past three years through one of the toughest downturns in the aerospace industry,” said Boeing Executive Vice President and CFO Mike Sears. “He has done a remarkable job and leaves BCC in excellent shape.

“Walt Skowronski will lead Boeing Capital into a new era, as over the next several years we transition to servicing our business units with direct financing and the ability to facilitate alternative financing for their customers,” Sears said. “Walt has a thorough knowledge and understanding of the financial marketplaces, and will enable our team to structure the best financial arrangements for our customers and Boeing Capital Corporation.” Skowronski will report to Sears and continue to be a member of the company’s executive council.

Boeing Capital Corporation has a $12 billion portfolio. Approximately 80 percent of the portfolio is in its Aircraft Financial Services group, which provides financing both to buy and lease Boeing commercial aircraft. The balance is in Commercial Financial Services, which finances a wide range of equipment across multiple industries. In addition, the Space and Defense Financial Services operating group has helped Boeing customers arrange financing for satellites, launch vehicles, military transports and tankers, and other advanced-technology products. Boeing Capital Corporation has approximately 250 employees located primarily at its headquarters in Renton, Wash., and in Long Beach, Calif.

Replacing Skowronski as corporate Treasurer will be Paul Kinscherff, 45, currently Boeing’s vice president of Investor Relations.

“Paul has done a tremendous job in leading our investor relations activities,” Sears said. “He has a thorough knowledge of the company and a firm understanding of corporate finance and banking, trust investments, and risk management. As Treasurer, he will be a senior vice president and a member of the executive council.”

Dave Dohnalek, 45, currently serving as assistant treasurer, corporate finance and banking, will become a vice president and lead the company’s Investor Relations team.

Skowronski joined Boeing from Lockheed Martin in 1999, where he had served as vice president and treasurer, and as vice president of investor relations. Skowronski is a graduate of Northeastern University with a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering. He earned a master’s degree in business administration from Boston University.

Kinscherff joined Boeing in 1999 as assistant treasurer, corporate finance and banking. Previously he worked for Lockheed Martin in a variety of finance positions, the last as director of corporate finance. He has a bachelor’s degree in public administration from the University of California and earned master’s degrees in both public policy and business administration from the University of Texas.

Dohnalek joined Boeing in 2002 from Looking Glass Networks, Oak Brook, Ill., where he was vice president and treasurer. Previously he was assistant treasurer of Ameritech Corporation, Chicago. He has bachelor’s degree in chemistry and a master’s degree in civil and environmental engineering from Northwestern University. Dohnalek has also earned a master’s degree in business administration in finance and marketing from the University of Chicago.

Boeing is the world’s leading aerospace company with 2002 revenues of $54 billion and more than 150,000 employees worldwide.

Boeing Updates Customers, Financiers about 7E7 Progress

SEATTLE, Nov. 13, 2003 -- Boeing [NYSE:BA] this week updated 80 airlines and eight financial institutions about its super-efficient 7E7 Dreamliner passenger airplane, and gathered inputs that will support the program's work next year.

The two-day meeting in Seattle provided Boeing the opportunity to listen to customer requirements, share concepts to standardize and simplify the airplane, and reveal the 7E7's state-of-the-art interior.

The attendees represented more than 80 percent of the owners and operators in the 7E7's market segment.

"By listening to the customers, we have been able to make real headway on an exciting new airplane – inside and out – that will be ideal for our airlines when it enters into service in 2008," said John Feren, vice president – Customers, 7E7 program. "It's amazing the time and energy our customers have given us to help us deliver the best value proposition. And they are responding very enthusiastically to what we are showing them."

Leasing companies and financial institutions have a more active role in the 7E7's development than they have for prior Boeing airplanes.

"Given the current financial conditions of many airlines we know that access to capital will have an ever increasing role in financing airplanes," Feren said. "We are gathering input from financial institutions about what concerns, ideas and needs they might have to make our new airplane successful."

The 7E7 recently reached a key milestone known as "firm concept," an indication that the program has determined in broad terms the airplane's size and functionality. The next major milestone is Authority to Offer -- a business milestone that must be approved by the company's board of directors. Schedules call for Authority to Offer to be completed late this year or early in 2004. The first deliveries of the 7E7 will be 2008

Boeing Announces Work Share for 7E7 Structures Team

EVERETT, Wash., Nov. 20, 2003 -- Boeing [NYSE:BA] today announced work share arrangements for the team that will be responsible for major structural sections of its proposed 7E7 Dreamliner airplane.

The structures team partners, named earlier this year, will build large sections of the airplane at sites in the United States, Japan, Italy, Australia and Canada, then transport those parts to the 7E7 final assembly location, which will be in the United States.

Boeing will provide major structure to the program through work at its facilities in Frederickson, Wash.; Tulsa, Okla.; Wichita, Kan.; Winnipeg, Canada; and Hawker de Havilland in Australia. Other work packages have been assigned to Japan's Fuji Heavy Industries (FHI), Kawasaki Heavy Industries (KHI), and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (MHI); Vought Aircraft Industries of Dallas, Texas; and Italy's Alenia Aeronautica.

"The process of assigning work packages has been very thorough and deliberate," said Mike Bair, senior vice president of the 7E7 program. "We looked at the capabilities and capacities of each structures team partner and assigned work where it would be done efficiently and effectively, creating a great product for our customers and solid business cases for everyone involved."

Boeing will supply approximately 35 percent of the 7E7 structure including the vertical fin from Frederickson, the fixed and movable leading edges of the wing from Tulsa, the flight deck and part of the forward fuselage section from Wichita, the movable trailing edges from Australia and the wing-to-body fairing from Winnipeg.

MHI will be responsible for the wing box. KHI will provide the remaining part of the forward fuselage, the main landing gear wheel well and the main wing fixed trailing edge. FHI is focused on the center wing box and integration of the center wing box with the main landing gear wheel well. The total work share of the 7E7 structure for Japan is approximately 35 percent.

Vought and Alenia are teaming on their work packages, with details of where they will build different elements expected at a later date. Together, they will build the 7E7 horizontal stabilizer and the center and aft fuselage. The Vought/Alenia work statement accounts for approximately 26 percent of the 7E7 structure.

Discussions regarding the placement of the remaining structures work are ongoing. This work accounts for approximately 4 percent of the 7E7 structure.

"This is a great team of proven performers," said Bair. "I look forward to our ongoing cooperation as we move forward with the 7E7. These decisions take us one step closer to our Authority to Offer review with our board of directors."

Boeing today confirmed that the 7E7 program headquarters and development and design integration center will be in Everett, Wash.

Boeing announced earlier this year that final assembly will be in the United States and is continuing with the process of evaluating proposals received by potential final assembly locations.

The company expects to make decisions regarding the placement of 7E7 systems and other work throughout 2004. A decision regarding which engine or engines will be offered on the airplane is expected in mid-2004.

"Creating a new airplane is a tremendous undertaking," said Bair. "We have worked diligently with our partners and our Boeing sites to find the answers that will ensure the success of the program."

Boeing Joins X-43C Hypersonic Research Vehicle Team

CHICAGO, Nov. 20, 2003 – As part of its mission to open new frontiers in aerospace, The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] has teamed with Allied Aerospace to develop the X-43C, an experimental aircraft designed to use innovative air-breathing engine technology to attain hypersonic speeds previously achieved only by rockets.

The X-43C builds on research results from the smaller X-43A Hyper-X vehicle, which Boeing also helped develop.

As with the X-43A program, Boeing Phantom Works will lead the effort to develop specific systems for the X-43C, including vehicle design and thermal protection systems along with flight control and navigation systems.

The X-43C is a joint project between NASA and the U.S. Air Force Research Laboratory, and the cost-plus-fixed-fee completion type contract carries performance incentives and is valued at nearly $150 million over 66 months. The contract covers all work through completion of a preliminary design review, and a contract option covers the final design, hardware fabrication and all associated support activities.

The three X-43C vehicles to be built will fly at hypersonic speeds from five to seven times the speed of sound. Hypersonic is defined as speeds at or greater than five times the speed of sound. Design and construction is planned from 2003 to 2005, with flight testing in 2007.

The X-43C is a larger than the X-43A with a length of 16 feet versus the X-43A’s length of 12.3 feet. The X-43C also has a different scramjet engine, which uses a hydrocarbon fuel rather than gaseous hydrogen as in the X-43A. Hydrocarbon fuels are much denser than hydrogen, allowing an engine test time measured in minutes rather than the seconds available with the X-43A.

“Hypersonic speeds are really at the edge of our knowledge,” said Tom Harsha, Boeing Phantom Works X-43C program manager. “We expect to learn a lot from X-43C that will bring us closer to safe, routine and economical access to space.”

Commercial aircraft like the Boeing 777 fly at subsonic speeds or less than the speed of sound. High performance military aircraft such as the Boeing F-15 or F/A-18 are capable of supersonic flight or speeds faster than the speed of sound. The only hypersonic aircraft in use is the space shuttle, which flies at 25 times the speed of sound upon re-entering the earth’s atmosphere.

Boeing’s work on the X-43C adds to its legacy of building the space shuttle and the rocket-powered hypersonic X-15 research craft flown at Mach 6.7 in the 1960s.

To reach hypersonic speeds, a scramjet engine will power the X-43C. Scramjets have few moving parts, are air breathing and have advantages over conventional rocket-powered vehicles carrying oxidizer for the fuel. By eliminating the need to carry oxidizer, smaller and more efficient vehicles can be designed for access to space. Scramjets must have high-speed airflow through them to operate, so the X-43C will be accelerated by a Pegasus rocket launched from an aircraft flown from Edwards Air Force Base, Calif.

X-43C prime contractor Allied Aerospace will integrate and oversee the program. Pratt & Whitney has been selected by Allied Aerospace to provide the scramjet engines.

Boeing Phantom Works is the advanced research and development unit and a catalyst of innovation for The Boeing Company. It provides advanced solutions and innovative, breakthrough technologies that reduce cycle time and cost while improving the quality and performance of aerospace products and services.

Boeing Announces Resignation of Phil Condit; Lew Platt Named Non-Executive Chairman, Harry Stonecipher Named President and CEO

CHICAGO, Dec. 1, 2003 – Boeing [NYSE: BA] announced today that its board of directors has accepted the resignation of Phil Condit, 62, as chairman and CEO. After thorough deliberations, the board decided that a new structure for the leadership of the company is needed and named Lewis E. Platt, 62, as non-executive chairman and Harry C. Stonecipher, 67, as president and CEO, effective immediately.

Both Platt and Stonecipher are experienced leaders who are knowledgeable about the company’s operations and strategy. Platt has been a member of Boeing’s board of directors for four years; he is a retired chairman of the board, president and CEO of Hewlett-Packard Company. Stonecipher retired from Boeing in 2002 after working closely with Condit for five years in several roles, including vice chairman, president and chief operating officer. Stonecipher also has served as a Boeing director for six years.

"Boeing is advancing on several of the most important programs in its history and I offered my resignation as a way to put the distractions and controversies of the past year behind us, and to place the focus on our performance," Condit said. "I am proud of the strategies that have transformed Boeing into the world’s largest aerospace company, and I have the highest regard and respect for Lew and Harry. They each possess the knowledge, experience and leadership to take this company to the next level. I will watch the progress of Boeing with great pride."

"The board appreciates that Phil acted with characteristic dignity and selflessness in recognizing that his resignation was for the good of the company," said the new chairman, Lew Platt. "We accepted his decision with sadness, but also with the knowledge that changes needed to be made. The board is confident that the new leadership will bring a renewed focus on execution and performance.

"The board is in unanimous agreement that the company has been pursuing the right transformation strategy and that Boeing is in excellent financial condition," he said.

"As the non-executive chairman, I will bring to bear the full strength and perspective of the board in guiding the company and assisting Harry in any way he requests. Harry will be responsible for executing our strategy and running every aspect of the company," Platt said.

"Boeing has a solid foundation for the future – strong businesses, valuable assets, and thousands of hard-working, dedicated people – and we are all deeply grateful to Phil for his contributions and accomplishments," Stonecipher said.

"We have the right strategy. The task before us is to execute. We need to strengthen our reputation with our customers, employees, investors and the communities in which we operate. Lew and I, and the entire board, are determined that the events of the last year no longer obscure the company’s strengths or distract us from what we need to do. Boeing is a great company with tremendous capabilities to define the future in each of our markets and deliver consistent, profitable growth," said Stonecipher.

Lew Platt joined Hewlett-Packard in 1966 in the medical products operations and went on to manage various parts of HP’s computer business. He became an executive vice president in 1987 and retired in 1999 after serving seven years as chairman, CEO and president of HP. He was the CEO of Kendall-Jackson Wine Estates from 2000 to mid-2001.

Platt earned his bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering from Cornell University and has a master’s degree in business administration from the Wharton School of Business, University of Pennsylvania. He serves on the boards of 7-Eleven, The Packard Foundation and the Wharton School.

Harry Stonecipher’s aerospace career spans more than 47 years from his start at General Motors’ Allison Division as a lab technician to being elected vice chairman of The Boeing Company in 2001. In 1960, he joined General Electric’s aircraft engine operations, and progressed through a series of engineering and program positions, ending up running the division from 1984 to 1987.

In 1987, Stonecipher left GE to join Sundstrand and shortly thereafter became president and chief operating officer. He became president and CEO in 1989 and assumed the additional office of chairman in 1991. During his seven and a half years at Sundstrand, Stonecipher repaired the company’s seriously damaged customer relationship with the U.S. Department of Defense.

Stonecipher joined McDonnell Douglas in 1994 as president and CEO. In his short 33 months at the aerospace company he increased the financial performance of the enterprise, saw a four-fold increase in the share price, and led the merger with Boeing in 1997. At completion of the merger, Stonecipher was elected president and chief operating officer and a member of Boeing’s board.

He has a bachelor’s degree in physics from Tennessee Technological University and serves on the board of directors of PACCAR, Inc.

Boeing лишился руководителя

Руководству корпорации Boeing не удалось списать на ошибки менеджеров скандал, связанный с контрактом по поставке ВВС США 100 авиатанкеров на сумму $20 млрд. Вчера компанию покинул председатель совета директоров и гендиректор Филип Кондит. В Boeing надеются, что таким образом компания наконец-то снимет с себя обвинения в коррупции.
Со вчерашнего дня Филип Кондит больше не работает в Boeing. 62-летний руководитель компании решился уйти, чтобы положить конец слухам о коррупции и исправить испортившиеся отношения с чиновниками. С уходом Кондита в Boeing решили разделить должности председателя совета директоров и гендиректора. В пресс-релизе Boeing говорится, что это необходимо для создания новой структуры управления компании, которая поможет сохранить ей лидерство в отрасли. Председателем совета директоров Boeing назначен Льюис Платт, а гендиректором - Хэрри Стоунсайфер. Оба они до сих пор были членами совета директоров корпорации.

Официальные представители Boeing отрицают связь между отставкой Кондита и контрактом на поставку ВВС США 100 авиатанкеров. Переговоры об их покупке Пентагон вел с EADS и Boeing. Летом 2002 г. было объявлено о подписании контракта с Boeing на $20 млрд. Но сенат отказался визировать сделку. Парламентарии выяснили, что одна из сотрудниц ВВС США, Дарлин Друйун, передавала Boeing важную информацию о предложениях конкурента. Год назад она уволилась из ВВС, а в январе 2003 г. перешла на работу в Boeing. Осенью сенат предложил Пентагону купить только 20 танкеров, а остальные взять в лизинг, что позволило бы бюджету сэкономить $3 млрд.

На прошлой неделе Boeing объявила об увольнении Друйун и нанявшего ее финансового директора корпорации Майкла Сиэрса. В Boeing это решение объясняли нарушением уволенными этического кодекса корпорации. Но аналитики указывали тогда, что топ-менеджеров уволили, чтобы замять скандал с лизингом танкеров. Но этот шаг не позволил Boeing добиться желаемого.

Источник в Boeing говорит, что нынешнее решение должно положить конец скандалу. "Тем самым Boeing морально очистится в глазах общественности, администрации и Конгресса и получит право на заключение контракта, который станет самым крупным и важным оборонным контрактом [компании] за последние годы", - говорит собеседник "Ведомостей". Такой позиции придерживается и Мэрси Йиэмэнс из Banc One Investment Advisors. "Это не сюрприз, - полагает аналитик. - Отставка Кондита - следствие недавних проблем Boeing". Впрочем, представитель корпорации уверен, что у Пентагона нет альтернативы танкерам Boeing, поэтому чиновники простят компанию.

После объявления об отставке Кондита акции Boeing на Нью-Йоркской фондовой бирже на дневных торгах поднялись на 0,16% до $38,45. Акции ее крупнейшего конкурента EADS также выросли на бирже Euronext на 4,5% до 19,10 евро ($22,8) за штуку.

В пресс-службе EADS "Ведомостям" отказались дать какие-либо комментарии по поводу ухода Кондита. "Пока рано говорить о том, чем закончатся все связанные с Boeing судебные и административные расследования, - говорит Питер Армэнт из JSA Research. - С уверенностью можно сказать одно: компания - лидер в своей отрасли и конкуренты, в том числе и EADS, не извлекут никакой выгоды из ухода Кондита".

Николай Буланов
Алексей Никольский
Ведомости
02 декабря 2003

Boeing развернет WLAN и сотовую связь на самолетах

Возможно, благодаря технологии беспроводных сетей WLAN пассажиры воздушных лайнеров в скором будущем получат возможность звонить по сотовому телефону и получат доступ в интернет прямо в полете. Сейчас над этим активно работает Connexion - коммуникационное подразделение авиастроительного гиганта Boeing.

Для организации доступа в сеть на борту самолета в Boeing собираются использовать WLAN-устройства класса WASP (Wireless Accesses Service Point).

Это более функциональный вариант точек доступа с дополнительными возможностями - брандмауэром, VPN-сервером, системой аутенфикации и т.д. Скорее всего, это будет специально разработанный для самолетов WASP-маршрутиратор компании Miltope, созданный на базе точки доступа CN1054 от Colubris Networks. Он может одновременно обслуживать до 30 клиентских устройств и поддерживать связь с тремя другими WASP. Связь самого самолета с интернетом будет поддерживаться с помощью спутникового канала с максимальной входящей скоростью 20 Мбит/с и исходящей в 1 Мбит/с. Использовать мобильные телефоны в самолетах запрещено, так как они вносят помехи в работу навигационного оборудования и могут привести к аварии. Поэтому Connexion предлагает применять радиотелефоны, оснащенные WLAN-адаптерами. Такие устройства собираются выпускать Cisco и другие компании, а в будущем, возможно, появятся аппараты, сочетающие в себе и WLAN, и сотовую связь.

Connexion также изучает возможность установки в самолете специальной базовой станции, безопасной для бортового оборудования. Она позволит пассажирам использовать обычные сотовые телефоны, но будет передавать их разговоры на землю также с помощью спутниковой связи и VoIP. Согласно планам Boeing, интернет и телефон могут появиться на лайнерах компании уже в 2005 году.

Источник: веб-сервер "PcNews"

Реклама
Boeing спасает свою репутацию

Компания Boeing уволила своего финансового директора Майка Сирса за "неэтичное поведение" при найме сотрудников. Прежде он считался одним из возможных преемников нынешнего главы Boeing Фила Кондита. Была также уволена сотрудница подразделения по противоракетной обороне Дарлин Друйун. Именно она была нанята Майком Сирсом в нарушение корпоративной этики. До прихода в Boeing Дарлин Друйун работала в Пентагоне и участвовала со стороны этого ведомства в переговорах с Boeing о лизинге авиатанкеров для нужд армии США. Выяснилось, что бывший финансовый директор вел с Дарлин Друйун переговоры о ее трудоустройстве в то время, когда она еще могла влиять на решения Пентагона в отношении Boeing.

Оба увольнения - это попытка компании отделаться от преследующих ее скандалов, связанных с подозрениями в применении Boeing нечестных методов конкурентной борьбы. Так, Дарлин Друйун обвиняют в том, что она тайно снабжала Boeing информацией о ценах конкурента - Airbus, что помогло Boeing выиграть контракт на лизинг авиатанкеров. Сумма сделки составила $22 млрд. А в июле этого года в окружной суд Лос-Анджелеса были представлены документы, свидетельствующие о том, что руководители Boeing покрывали использование подчиненными документов, похищенных у компании Lockheed Martin. В итоге разбирательств администрация США наказала Boeing, отобрав у нее подряды на сумму в $1 млрд и передав их Lockheed Martin.

Источник: журнал "Финанс"

Назад